POST RESPONSIBLY: A Strong Marketing Communications Strategy
February 10, 2016
Imagine waking not feeling well, what do you do? Do you call up your family doctor or your lawyer? The answer being quite obvious: the doctor.
Similarly, there is a reason why brands approach digital marketers, because they know that we possess the ability to guard their brand name online. Additionally, we bring significant value to the brand by increasing its visibility and by actively engaging with the audiences via our marketing communications strategy. We build a community for the brand online and establish advocates across social media channels.
With the constantly changing digital media landscape, messages pushed out on social media are a commonplace. Social media platforms are not just networking sites anymore, they are channels from which many of us get our current news. Content attracts consumers, generates a call to action, impacts negotiations and affects the overall brand, making the case for taking your digital workflow seriously.
So how do we manage this crucial responsibility? The answer is by setting up a system that works for you and your team.
At Environics, our digital team has established a natural marketing communications strategy for content management. Here are a few tips that have helped us be proactive with our client’s work in digital media:
- Research: Research is the basis of receiving unbiased information. When conducted properly it eliminates preferences and gives us a realistic picture. But, when does research end? The answer is never. Research is on-going and we are always on the lookout for news and events in the spaces where our clients operate.
- Beyond Words: Social media content is not just words. While drafting web copy it’s critical to be mindful of emotions, cultures, and crises which could affect consumers. Earlier this year, the largest provider of student financial aid apologized for an insensitive tweet because of its extensive public criticism. This ties back to the basics of researching the interests, concerns and issues of the audiences.
- Personalization Over Automation: Audiences want companies to personalize their interactions with them and not automate responses. If automation is necessary, it is important to determine how to properly incorporate automation in your strategy in a way that does not offend the consumers.
- Edits and Revisions: We follow the two-person editing system. We always have two-or even three-set of eyes looking for errors, making necessary edits, and alerting for any copy or image that could negatively impact the consumers at large.
- Quality Over Quantity: It is vital to have a team that consists of members who understand the aptitude and possess required knowledge to be operating in social media. Team members having their own personal style, tone, and individual voice is reasonable as well as necessary. The important factor is to weave together and mold these styles to run parallel with the client’s brand language.
- Own the Responsibility: Social media is no joke and today the power is in the hands of the consumers. It is mandatory to be cognizant and well-informed of the events that have taken place in the past and have affected the public. On the 4th of July, a leading clothing company posted a photo of the Challenger space shuttle disaster to its Tumblr page, mistaking the image for a fireworks display. The digital world does not offer the comfort of second chances, thus, making it crucial to establish protocols for who, when and how social media posts are published.
Managing social media properties is a huge component of your marketing communications strategy. It’s critical to maintain, elevate and cultivate a brand.
What system do you follow for your social media practices?
HOW ENVIRONICS CAN HELP
Environics is an integrated communications firm with PR in our DNA. We know how to target audiences with compelling messages to elicit action. From developing and implementing your communications strategy to facilitating media training to analyzing the performance of your campaigns, Environics can take your business to a higher plane of growth and profit. We help clients do their homework upfront, by getting the strategy right before investing their time and money in marketing implementation.
Assistant Account Executive
Yakesha is a writer, avid traveler, and self-proclaimed cupcake connoisseur. A proud Spelman graduate, her adventurous spirit led her to move to Spain after college. When not binge-watching Game of Thrones, Yakesha mentors youth and encourages them to pursue their dreams.
Share this post!
How Proof Strategies Can Help
Proof Strategies (formerly Environics Communications) is a full-service communications agency committed to insight-based problem-solving. We believe anyone can ask questions, but few ask the right ones. Better questions change how we approach your business challenges. As a brand steward to some of North America's most respected and well-known companies, our strategic approach is guided by data-driven research, deep subject expertise, smart creative and digital solutions to engage audiences in new ways with measurable results.